Thursday, November 5, 2009

What do you do outside of Eve?

I got an idea for a new series of blog posts that I thought I'd experiment with (thanks to an email discussion with Ga'len). The last time I did something like this I asked a series of questions about what you did in the game, and how long you've been playing it, etc. This time I thought I'd try something different.

If you'd like to submit answers to the following questions, I'd be very grateful. Your answers will be submitted as new blog posts, with the intent to help everyone out there understand a bit more about the person behind the character.

Please note that this is for anyone - players and bloggers alike. If you want to let us know about the person behind the character, send me your answers:

Your character name:

Your real name:

The country you're living in:

How old are you:

What kind of work do you do:

What other hobbies or interests do you have:

Do you have a personal blog or non-Eve website you want to share:



I'll start the ball rolling with a few details about me.

Your character name: Alexia Morgan

Your real name: Alan Howard

The country you're living in: Australia (city: Canberra)

How old are you: I'm 43 this month.

What kind of work do you do:

I'm a Business Analyst (BA). What that means is that I do the following:
  • understand the practices and processes of the business or government department that contracts my services
  • understand what their objectives are (eg. what do they want me to achieve)
  • analyse where they are now, in relation to where they want to be, and present a 'gap analysis'. This shows them where they are, and where they want to be, and what they need to do to implement changes that will result in them getting to where they want to be
  • and finally, help them implement those changes
What I love about it is that I am directly responsible for change. I love change. I embrace it. And it excites me to be responsible for changing some business or government department so that the way they do things is improved.

I've spent about 13 years in the IT industry, most of it in tech support. The experience I gained helped me move forward as a BA, with a forte in IT Operations and Support. I'm excellent at helping service desks, for example, improve their practices and processes around Service Delivery and Management.

What other hobbies or interests do you have:

When I finish work, I'm usually braindead from some element of mental exhaustion, so I jump onto Eve and wind down ingame. Being in Australia, I have about 3-4 hours of gametime after work and before Downtime, so I try to make the most of it. Occasionally I go out with a friend for a mid-evening coffee.

On weekends I usually catch up with some friends for brunch/lunch, or go out for dinner somewhere. If the weather is nice and/or I'm inspired, I love going out taking photos. Photography is a passion of mine, but one which I pursue only as a hobby. I recently bought a Nikon D90 DSLR, which is my very first semi-professional camera, and I'm loving the quality of shots it takes. I'm hoping that one day I'll become good enough to take it up as a semi/professional photographer.

Driving is another passion. I have a Ford XR6 Turbo which keeps me very happy. It's an Aussie performance vehicle, and you can't get it outside of Australia or New Zealand (maybe you could import it, I dunno). I've had it a couple years, and I love playing with it. A friend of mine has a turbo-charged Nissan Pulsar, and we're often going out on Friday nights to find others to 'play with', if you get my drift. :) So far, I haven't found anything that is faster than mine off the lights. Lots of fun.


Travel. That's something else I love doing. I've seen probably half of Australia in my lifetime so far, and intend seeing so much more. In 2000 I went to New Zealand for a holiday and ended up staying there. Beautiful country. I saw most of it in my time there, and came back to Australia in 2007. There's a lot more traveling I want to do, like China and Japan and Europe. Shame I can't take my car with me, but at least the camera will come...

Do you have a personal blog or non-Eve website you want to share:

I've been blogging since 1998, back when it was called 'online journaling'. I've changed domains and formats over the years, but all the content has been maintained. It's now at www.alanzeyes.com It's a reflection of my life and adventures.

Right, your turn. Send me your information, and I'll throw it up as a new format of Blogger Profiles.

7 comments:

  1. Your character name:
    Zalorria (in training)


    Your real name:
    Sherry


    The country you're living in:
    Wellington, New Zealand


    How old are you:
    37


    What kind of work do you do:
    Was an IT Manager, have now changed industry and purchased a fast food shop. I am also the landlord for a couple of properties.


    What other hobbies or interests do you have:
    Did play World of Warcraft for a long time, currently don't have alot of time for hobbies. I do like to listen to music, read and ski. Recently have been doing a couple of half marathons (walking)

    Do you have a personal blog or non-Eve website you want to share:
    WWW.punkas.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Character Name: Siddh Siitem

    Real Name: David Michael Spencer

    Country: Canada

    Age: 24

    Work: Payroll/Benefits for Government employees.

    Hobbies/interests: Philosophy, psychology, political science (have a degree in that last one) and RPGs (pen and paper, computer, console, whatever). Also reading, and video games in general.

    Personal blog: I sort of have a LiveJournal I don't use anymore. Mostly I'm on twitter as davethebrave371, and tumblr as davethebrave (or davthbrv, if you will).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's mine - http://noiravlaa.blogspot.com/2009/11/pick-pen-up-again.html

    You're job seems much more interesting, looks like you're really happy with it aswell, rare that :) Trying to move up my industry atm, in the "starter" job position.

    Let us know how Japan goes for you if you get there :D Somewhere I definately want to visit at some point :)

    - Noir Avlaa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Character Name: Idemus
    Real name: Jason
    Country: USA
    Age: 31
    Work: System's Engineer
    Hobbies/Interests: Numerous, but video games probably top the chart
    Blogsite: Don't currently have one. Used to, but keeping up with it was too much work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your character name:
    PudTugger

    Your real name:
    Jason

    The country you're living in:
    USA

    How old are you:
    33

    What kind of work do you do:
    Commercial Airline Pilot

    What other hobbies or interests do you have:
    I spend most of my limited time at home hanging around with my wife of 13 years, and goofing off with my kids (2 boys; ages 4 and 5). Besides that: reading a lot (sci-fi novels; ANYTHING Eve related I can get my hands on), and playing Eve whenever I can....not much. Glamorous and flashy? No, but throw a few nice long walks in the woods, and I get all warm fuzzy-ish. I love life.

    Do you have a personal blog or non-Eve website you want to share:
    Absolutely NOT.

    Favorite Quote:
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."
    ---Somebody Else



    Tailwinds,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is mine: http://blog.nemofactory.de/?p=518

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.