Monday, September 21, 2009

The carebear tears

I have a friend who has been a pirate for quite a while. I've looked up to him as an inspiration to my own activities, and have spent some time learning from him.

He's the one who suggested I move to 0.0 space and do some ratting, so I can make some 'easy money' to afford to buy my Rapier. He's been active in 0.0 for quite a long time, so I listened to him, packed up and moved to 0.0 space.

A couple days ago he was ratting in the same area, when he was jumped by a small fleet of pilots in a NRDS (not red don't shoot) alliance. He wasn't red, but it seems his previous corp was. That's why they jumped him - not for what he was, but for what he used to be. This was in accordance with their rules. If he was once in a red corp, and then joined an NPC corp, he was still 'red' until he joined another player corp that wasn't red.

Now, he knew the rules that this alliance flew by, but he thought that they would at least give him a warning first, allowing him to leave the area. But they didn't warn him - they just attacked him instead, which was according to their rules of conduct in the area.

He just hoped they would do something different.

He cried.

In fact, he cried a lot.

I didn't realise how much of a carebear he was. I wanted to grab a vase to catch the carebear tears, but I couldn't find any around.

He said he's going to take his bat and ball and go home. No more pod time for him!

I gave him a tissue to wipe his tears.

It made me think.

How many of you expect other people to do something for you that they never do for anyone else, because that's what you'd prefer them to do?

Do you think you're entirely reasonable for expecting them to do something that they've never done before?

It reminds me of a quote from a famous scientist in ancient history:

"The greatest sign of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results." - Scooby Doo.

We can apply that here:

"The greatest sign of insanity is knowing what someone will do, but then getting upset when they do it because you hoped they'd do something different…" - Alexia Morgan

5 comments:

  1. Its funny how people do stuff they might never do in RL ... just because Eve is "a game".

    Emotions however are not pretend emotions. People really feel things in a game, just like in RL. Why would they play otherwise?

    So when you hurt someone ... you actually do hurt someone.

    duh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One could argue that your friend is pretty full of himself expecting a different treatment than others :\

    Me, I expect everyone out there that isn't set mutual blue to shoot me, even neutral friends. If I were him, and I had seen them come in, I'd warped right out to a safe. Then again, I'd also have set them to personal red standings as an extra warning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the navcom is good for something other then autopilot. Here's what the bucket of bolts turned up.

    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    - Albert Einstein

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't get the joke :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds to me like he ran into the cva/provipet rule set, which means two things to me.

    A) He got what he deserved for being a clever bugger.

    B) I get to laugh at him coz he died to the provipets. Course It may not be them but I'll laugh anyway :)

    And no, I never expect anyone to help me out, not even Alliance mates. Too long in this game I have been, cynical I became.

    Wow, that last line is so Yoda! \o/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.