Monday, June 8, 2009

Blogger Profiles #26 - Escoce

I know, it's been almost 3 months since the last blogger profile... What can I say, I was distracted. I'm sorry though! Hopefully things should get back to normal from now on...

What is your character's name or handle?

Escoce

What is your blog's URL?

http://escoce.blogspot.com

How long have you been blogging?

Very sporadically since April, 17, 2008

What region of EVE do you mostly operate in?

I operate all over Empire, though the regions another pilot is “most likely” to see me in Essense, Verge Vendor, Genesis and Everyshore.

When did you start playing EVE?

November 2007

What do you enjoy about EVE?

The emmersion and attention to detail. The scope and breadth of the gaming universe, and the possibility that I will never reach an end-game, but perhaps only do pretty well compared to others who’ve had similar Eve-Online careers.

What is your playstyle?

Style? Hmmm, I am pretty much a solo style player, I however love the social aspects of Eve, and I am a member of a corp to which I contribute time to help develop the corp by getting them cheap materials. I also socialize a great deal with various types of low sec folks since I spend so much time in low sec doing trade. I started out as a miner, and got bored with mining almost as soon as I had “mastered” that career path, moved into trade and specialized mostly in mineral trading. I am now also an arms dealer and it is my current goal to establish a low sec market hub. I run literally all over empire, just so I can provide the cheapest goods in Hevrice so that no matter what popular item you are looking for, Hevrice is the cheapest place to get it. Like I said, I want to put Hevrice on the map.

I do however also blitz mission (strictly for standing improvements for trade, tax and broker fees reductions and POS anchoring and that stuff), I don’t do it for the money, I don’t loot or salvage unless its perhaps the last mission for the night and I am just picking up a few extra bucks worth of loot. I PvP, and I am pretty good at it, it’s just not central to my character like missioning isn’t. I am a trader and a damned good one at that I’d like to think.

Do you play any other games?

I only play other games when Eve Online is down. I’ll play Wesnoth or perhaps something on my kid’s Nintendo DS since he’s sleeping during my gaming hours anyway.

What do you blog about, and why?

I blog about Eve Trading, and recently about my efforts to establish a low sec market.

What are your other interests?

I am an IT project manager with strong interest in security currently, and spend time continuing my education down that path. I am also a beekeeper (as in honey bees), and small scale farmer. I love astronomy, and reading escapist literature like Harry Potter or Ursula Le Guin or whatever, just so long as it’s catchy (catches my attention after a few pages), otherwise the book is likely to sit on the shelf for a few years before I give it another chance.

What advice do you have for EVE players who are struggling to stay motivated?

It’s not easy, but if you at least have developed a foundation in a career path, you should have the resources (meaning money) to keep you going while you develop a new career. Trying something new is always a good way to make something fresh. When mining got god aweful boring, I switched careers to mineral trading, when that got boring I added turned a backwater constellation into a mineral market still to this day one of the most active mineral markets in Empire even though I don't drive it anymore, I added missioning into it just to mix things up, then I started in arms trade, dealing in combat oriented ships, modules, weaponry and ammo and I bring them to low sec which added a little excitement and I made some new friends in the bargain. Now I am working to rewrite the map a little and get a LowSec system rated as a market hub (Hevrice).

If you are getting bored, then change your career change your ships, change your surroundings, change the people you hang out with. Just do something new, whether its switching from Rail Guns to blasters, or switch from specializing in Battleships to Rifters. I did that, I started flying an ishkur (gallente assault frigate) for missioning, and that added some excitement. I can run all level 3 and most level 4 missions solo in a frigate now. You gotta keep it fresh, but when you do find a change that makes you happy, you find yourself emmersed all over again in something completely new even though you might have 10 or 20 or 50 million skill points under your belt. No matter what you do in Eve, there is always something new.

Anything else to offer?

I really enjoy reading the player generated facts and fiction in the blogs and posted as official fiction on the eve website. It keeps me entertained and wanting to try something new every once in a while.

1 comment:

  1. How's the trading going? Let me know. Evemail me @ Davikson or my wife @ Topava. Later.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.