Sunday, March 8, 2009

Blogger Profiles #22 - AeonOfTime

Welcome to yet another profile of an Eve Blogger! Please check out the list of Eve Bloggers so you can enjoy getting to know a few of the others as well.

I'd just like to thank all the Eve bloggers who have handed in their profiles so far. There's over 160 Eve bloggers out there though, so I'm looking forward to getting some more. Yes, that means YOU, if you haven't already given me a profile. :)
What is your character's name or handle?

AeonOfTime

What is your blog's URL?

http://eve.aeonoftime.com

How long have you been blogging?

About six years now outside of EVE; for EVE I started the blog about a week in the game. I knew it would be long term then, and I wanted to keep a log to go back to later on. A kind of early nostalgia if you like.

What region of EVE do you mostly operate in?

Heimatar will always feel like home the most, with Metropolis next. I spend a fair amount of time in Domain too, but more because I fly Amarr and modules are more readily available there. Heimatar is my real base of operations.

When did you start playing EVE?

October 13th, 2006. I spent a week thinking about getting a subscription or not, reading the FAQ on the game world. I was not sure if I should join because it seemed terribly involved and way too similar to real life for a game. In the end I decided that I had to see what online gaming was all about. Besides, I was a bit bored out of fantasy settings then and World of Warcraft seemed way too traditional in that aspect.

What do you enjoy about EVE?

Quite a number of things, but most importantly that fact that it has a Scifi setting and that I get to pilot big, shiny spacefaring vessels. It reminds me of Stephen Donaldson's "Gap Sequence" books through the harsh setting it plays in. Beyond that, I have come to enjoy the total freedom and contact with likeminded players from all over the world. As a software engineer, I am also often amazed at what CCP have achieved and really enjoy testing out all the possibilities the game world offers.

What is your playstyle?

Ironically enough, I play solo. I do realize it's a MULTIplayer game, but I have always been a lone wolf at heart. I am not entirely anti-social however. I have one chat channel I have followed since I started the game, and my corporation, Sytek Technologies, is a safe haven for other lone wolves to get together without the usual corporation restraints. I am a miner at heart, and a missioner for fun. I have never done any real PvP, and do not plan on doing any for the time being.

Do you play any other games?

Yes, many - but EVE is the only MMOG I play. All the other games I play are solo games. I never stopped playing since my first gaming experiences on the Commodore C64. One constant is the Civilization series, closely followed by RPGs like the Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion) and more recently, Mass Effect. Add a few first person shooters to the mix like Doom, Unreal or Crysis, and a bit of nostalgia with Master Of Magic and the Wing Commander / Privateer series.

What do you blog about, and why?

I blog about my character's adventures in EVE, mostly because I want to keep a log for future nostalgia moments but also to share my knowledge of the game from my personal perspective. Whenever I try a new aspect of the game, I write about my experience with it to help other players discover it. There is a much cheesier reason to why I am blogging though, which ultimately led to my blog being named "The Captain's Log of AeonOfTime": I have grown up with seafaring ships, and one of the traditions as a captain is to keep a written log of events. I always liked that, and seeing that I do pilot a ship of sorts, I figured it would be fitting :)

What are your other interests?

You mean, like, in real life? This is going to sound boring I fear, but oh well - here goes: Web design and development, traveling abroad, diving (without bottles or scubas).

What advice do you have for EVE players who are struggling to stay motivated?
Do not lose sight of the fun. I met a number of players that had gotten so involved in the game that they did not realize they were not having fun anymore. In my world, duties should not be part of a game. Of course in EVE you have to dedicate yourself to your corp if you want to achieve something bigger, but don't let that spoil your fun. If you start thinking of not logging in because you will have to attend to chore XY, you need to free yourself of those duties. Just play by gut even if you don't make any ISK for a few hours - stop crunching numbers and just play. Take a ship, and on a whim set up shop in a new system in another region, with a different agent. Screw the 30+ jumps, screw agent quality, take one that just looks good and see where that leads you.

Anything else to offer?

Only an invitation to all love wolves out there to check out Syrkos Technologies. We have no corp duties whatsoever, so you can keep your complete freedom. We are a growing community of about 20 members from all over the place that all play just the way they want to without any strings attached. You can find out more on my blog and on the minisite (igb compatible): http://sytek.aeonoftime.com

2 comments:

  1. Cool bio, good blog. Have added you to my sidebar and more importantly my reading list. nice corp site too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bundle, Biomassed - it means a lot that you like it :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.