Saturday, January 3, 2009

[OOG] An explanation

I have previously been Black Claw, and then more recently Sarah Conna. And now I'm Alexia Morgan. Why?

It's a question that's been asked by a few people, and also by me. Why didn't I just stick with Black Claw? And now that I created a new character in Sarah, why didn't I stick with her? Why all this confusing rigmarole?

I owe an explanation, and this is it.

A lot of people didn't understand my justification for deciding not to play Black Claw any more. I'm not sure I could have made it any clearer, but still people didn't understand...
You should never bring a knife to a gun fight, and I'm often left feeling that all I have is a knife, while my enemies have heavy machine guns.
I was being ganged up on by all manner of pilots who feared me for my age. Normally a pilot of Black Claw's age would be able to carry around the 'heavy machine guns', but unfortunately, I only had the skill points to carry a knife (I hope you understand my analogy!). This meant I was constantly being chased by gangs of machine gun-carrying pilots who expected me to be as powerful as they were.

But I wasn't, so I didn't enjoy the experiences I had as a result.

Since the game is all about enjoying yourself, and doing what feels best for you, I chose to start afresh. A number of people suggested I should just continue with Black Claw, but I'm playing this game for myself, not for them.

Oh, I understand their comments are well-intentioned, and they don't want to see me having wasted so much time on Black Claw just to throw it away... But really, there's so many different kinds of experiences one can choose in Eve Online, and starting a new character is one of them.

So I started a 'pure PVP character', and then got stuck for a name. I ended up choosing 'Sarah Conna', which wasn't particularly smart... But I thought I'd go with it anyway. Unfortunately, I haven't been happy with it. The occasional sniggering and smartarse comments from random pilots in some of the systems I flew through made me realise it was a mistake.

And so I'm starting again, this time with Alexia Morgan. She's a Minmatar Brutor, with a history of being a slave. She has a story, unlike Sarah Conna, and this blog will be the medium for her story. She's also more of a PVP character, I believe, than Sarah would have been.

To all those who have been inconvenienced by following Sarah's blog instead of Black Claw's, and now to follow this blog - I sincerely apologise to you. I assure you this will be the last one.

I look forward to you being part of these continuing adventures, and thank you for your patience.

(This has been the result of a process that started here.)

12 comments:

  1. Welcome in the New Eden! Minmatar is certainly good choice, I like Minmatar split designs. They can have so many surprises in there and that speed they fly... I hope you will enjoy your choice to its fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, welcome.

    I will wait to see more, Mr Black Claw, Ms. Sarah Conna, Ms. Alexia Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third time's the charm, mate. And Minmatar is an awesome choice. Especially a Brutor slave child but then I might be a little bit biased. RSS feed updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, i drink single malt whisky with coke, why? its my whisky i'll drink it however i want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope my comments on Sarah's blog weren't taken in the wrong light. I do understand "age discrimination."

    Look forward to reading about your adventures here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone for the sentiments. :D

    @Tony, just call me Alexia from now on.

    @Wensley thanks for updating the feed!

    @Leumas nope, nothing was taken in the wrong light. Everything said by those who said something was appreciated, but in the end it was my decision to do what I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your game, your rules matey! If this ensures you enjoy the game more then it can only be a good thing in my book!

    Updated the link in my blog roll. Looking forward to continued updates in this new year. 2009? What's that all about eh? :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alexia you say?... You remind me of someone I once knew, if only for a short amount of time. Hopefully we'll have more time.

    Now, how about that drink!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice changes mate. I'll update the OPML download with this new blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh heh, third time lucky? G/ luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.